Frequently Asked Questions

For a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions, please click here


Q:  What is the deadline for applications?
A:   December 1. 

The deadline for applications is December 1.  All supplemental documents must be submitted by this date as well, i.e.: personal statement, transcripts, three letters of recommendation, and any other documents you expect to submit. Please keep this in mind and allow plenty of time for your referees to write and submit a letter in order to meet the December 1 deadline.  This is also true for contacting your Registrar Office(s) to submit official transcripts on your behalf. While offers of admission and aid are generally made in mid to late winter quarter, there is no guarantee that completed applications received after the deadline will be reviewed. 

Application Fees

Q:  Is there a fee for processing the application?
A:   Yes, the cost is $90. 

Under University rules, applications must be accompanied by the appropriate application fee.  Failure to send the fee may result in a serious delay in the review of your application. Documented cases of substantial financial hardship for domestic applicants will be examined on an individual basis.  Under University policy, fee waivers are not granted to international students.  Application fees can be paid via credit card on-line.

The Application

Q:  How do I obtain an application form? 
A:  Applications and supporting materials are accepted online only.

All applicants must apply on-line using the above link.  If applying to one of the four Biomedical Sciences Cluster programs, you must first selected the cluster and then select your program of interest (Cancer Biology, Immunology, Microbiology, or Molecular Metabolism). You may choose more than one program, but the system requires that you rank the options in order of interest. Note that the Biomedical Sciences Cluster is an organizational unit and does not grant degrees - the individual programs within the cluster grant degrees.

Supplemental Materials

Q:  What documentation is needed to accompany my application? 
A:   In addition to the completed application please include:

  • Transcripts from all previous institutions. Admitted students must submit official, final transcripts prior to matriculating, but electronic copies are required at the application stage.
  • At least three letters of recommendation from college or university professors who know the applicant's work well.  Individuals who have been away from school for several years may submit recommendations from their employers.
  • Graduate Record Examination scores.  GRE test scores are optional. If submitted they must be from within the last five years. The University of Chicago instiution code is 1832. 
  • TOEFL scores are required for international students. The English Language Proficiency requirement may be waived if the applicant studied in full-time status for at least one academic year (within the last five years) in the U.S., Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and English medium universities in Canada and South Africa. There are no exceptions to this requirement if the residency status is not met.
  • A personal statement.

Q:  Do I need to take the Subject Exam?
A:   No, GRE Subject scores are optional for all programs.

Life at UC

Q:  What recreational activities are available on and around campus?
A:   The UC's Prospective Students website has a great overview of what the UC, Hyde Park and the City of Chicago have to offer its visitors and residents.


Q:  What are the housing options for graduate students at UC?
A:   Many students opt for UC Graduate Student Housing their first year while involved in course work.  Others opt for apartments available by other property managers in Hyde Park, various neighborhoods in Chicago or the suburbs.  Regent's Park rental residences has many perks for UC affiliated residents.  The choice is up to you.  The University does not endorse any commercial enterprise or activity. 


If you have questions about completing your application, you may email them to